Starting in March 2020, Facebook requires users to create a Facebook app with Instagram Basic Display API to get a long-live Instagram Access Token. Follow our instructions on this section to get your own Instagram Access Token and paste it back on the VA: Instagram Slider & Feed app back-end configuration page.
You will need:
- A Facebook account.
- An Instagram account with media.
Step 1: Go to developers.facebook.com and log in with your Facebook account. Then click on “My Apps” link >> “Create app” button.
On “Create an app” screen, select “Other” option then click “Next“:
Select “Consumer” app type then click “Next“:
ALWAYS select the “Consumer” option even if you’re having an Instagram Business account. If you select “Business” option, you will not find “Instagram Basic Display” feature.
Enter your app name, then click on “Create App” button.
Complete the security check then click on “Submit” button.
Step 2: On “Add products to your app” page, find “Instagram Basic Display” and then click on “Set Up” button.
Scroll down and click on “Settings” link to be navigated to the “Basic settings” page.
(2) Upload your app icon, select a category for your app, and select “Yourself or your own business” app purpose.
(3) Click on “Save changes” button.
(4) Scroll down and click on “Add platform” button.
(5) Select “Website” platform.
(6) Enter your website URL then click on “Save changes” button.
(1) Navigate to “Instagram Basic Display” > “Basic Display” page. Click on “Create New App” button.
(2) Enter the display name you want. Click on “Create App” button.
(1) Navigate to “App roles” > “Roles” page. Find and click on “Add People” button.
(2) Enter your Instagram username into the popup then click on “Add” button.
(1) Open a new web browser tab, go to www.instagram.com and sign in to your Instagram account that you just invited.
(2) Navigate to your “Profile” page > Click on the cogwheel icon next to “Edit Profile” button > select “Apps and Websites”
(3) Open “Tester Invites” tab > Find your newly created app and click on “Accept” button. Your Instagram account is now eligible to be accessed by your Facebook app while it is in Development Mode.
(1) Go back to the Facebook developer page. Navigate to “Instagram Basic Display” > “Basic Display” page. Scroll down and find the “User Token Generator” section. Click on “Generate token” button.
(2) Log in with your Instagram account.
(3) Click on “Allow” button.
(4) Click on “I understand” checkbox then copy your Instagram Access Token.
Paste your Instagram Access Token on VA: Instagram Slider & Feed app configuration page.
Long-lived tokens are valid for 60 days and our app will refresh your token automatically before they expiring. You will not have to manually regenerate your access token.
You can watch the instruction video here: